The professional liability and ethics group represents insureds of numerous major insurance companies. The legal practice group also represents professionals in ethics related matters either through direct retention or on behalf of an insured client before the Office of Attorney Ethics and the Disciplinary Review Board of the Supreme Court. Many errors and omissions policies today provide a limited amount of defense costs to defend ethics grievances even if there is no accompanying legal malpractice case. It is very important to secure counsel to defend an ethics matter as soon as a practitioner receives notice that a grievance has been filed.
Just some of the matters that we have defended include:
- Attorney before Ethics Committee for untimely release of escrow funds and record retention.
- Cases where attorneys accused of misappropriating funds of elderly by charging attorney rates for non-legal work.
- Attorney alleged to have improperly held a paralegal out to the public as an attorney.
- Attorneys accused of conflicts of interest because of personal relationships with the grievants or other litigants.
- Attorneys claimed to have engaged in the unethical use of the subpoena power.
- Attorney placement on disability inactive status and ethical charges of lack of diligence.
- Grievances alleging lack of communication and diligence.